Cover for Water Sports | Travel Insurance Direct (TID)
- Licensing and / or safety gear – the water activities to be aware of
- What's covered?
- What's not covered?
If a holiday simply isn’t a holiday without scuba diving, white-water rafting, hanging ten, or throwing a line in from a tinny out in the middle of Barra country, then look no further than TID for all your insurance needs.
Like so many of our team, many of our customers can’t get enough of the ‘water, water everywhere’ mindset. And that’s exactly why our policies offer cover for the following splash-about activities.
- Banana boat riding
- Black water rafting or river tubing
- Dragon boating
- Fishing, angling, deep sea fishing
- Jet boating
- Jet skiing
- Kayaking, canoeing (including sea and white-water kayaking/canoeing)
- Kite surfing and kite wing on water
- Outrigger canoeing
- Parasailing over water
- River boarding, hydrospeeding (grades 1-5)
- Scuba diving#
- Shark cage diving#
- Speed boating
- Stand up paddle surfing/paddle boarding
- Swimming with whales or whale sharks
- Water polo
- Water skiing
- White water rafting (grades 1-5)
- Windsurfing or sailboarding
- Zorbing over water
Safety is at the heart of what we do and that is why we recommend that you participate in sports and activities whilst under a licensed operator and wear any safety gear provided. You may also require a licence to participate in some activities, depending on the laws of the country you're visiting.
Licensing and / or safety gear – the water activities to be aware of
Before you head into the deep blue sea with a snorkel tank on your back, it’s crucial that you make sure you’re qualified… or your instructor is.
If you’re a first timer, make sure you dive with a qualified instructor and if you’re diving without an instructor, you must have the right open water qualifications and not dive beyond the depths and locations to which you’ve been qualified.
That means no free diving, wreck diving or anything else beyond your licence.
If you’re happy place is in a tinny in the middle of a lake or out in the deep sea somewhere throwing a line in, you must remember to ensure that you don’t head out before you have checked the weather conditions, have your life jacket on and secured and are aware of the vessel’s safety equipment.
Risky or reckless conduct may result in your claim not being paid out.
# Must hold an open water diving licence or dive under licenced instruction.
- Emergency medical and evacuation coverage – if you or a member of your family suffers an injury or accident whilst participating in a covered water sports activity.
- Loss, theft or damage to your luggage and personal effects - if your gear is lost, stolen or damaged on your trip you may be able to claim to have your gear replaced or repaired.
- Surfboards and body boards are covered for loss, theft and damage up to the applicable limit. If it's worth more and/or you want to avoid depreciation you can list it on your policy and pay an additional premium.
- Accidental Death benefit - Cover if you die as a direct result of an accidental injury on your trip. Sub-limits apply.
- Total Permanent Disability benefit (excluding Domestic policies and The Basics plan)
- Personal Liability - Protection for you being legally liable for injuring other people or causing damage to their property, including pre-approved, reasonable legal defence costs. Sub-limits apply.
Our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team must be contacted if you require hospitalisation.
What's not covered?
We will not pay for any claims arising from or related to the following:
- A loss arising from participating in or training for a competition or race where you receive a financial reward (i.e., an appearance fee, a wage or salary).
- scuba diving unless you hold an open water diving licence or are under licenced instruction.
- Reckless behaviour - You, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally exposing themselves to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life.
- Loss, theft or damage to watercraft of any type (excluding surfboards).
- Damage to sports and leisure equipment (including surfboards) while in use.
- Damage to sports and leisure equipment due to normal wear and tear, including dents and scratches
- Medical expenses in Australia
- Damage you cause to someone's property or if you injure someone due to your ownership, possession or use (including as a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, or any aircraft or watercraft.
- Traveling against advice - If you travel against medical advice or neglect to adhere to Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade ‘Do Not Travel’ warnings issued prior to departure. Find out more at Smartraveller.
This is a brief summary of cover only. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm
Get in contact with usContact us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523