Travel Insurance Direct

Comprehensive Travel Insurance

Focus on the fun with our most popular & comprehensive plan, called The Works - it’s like flying first class without the price tag.

What is comprehensive travel insurance?

The Works is our highest level of cover and is designed for travellers who want absolute peace of mind when they’re on holiday. It's our most popular plan, we've designed it to really let you focus on the fun. The cover available has higher benefit amounts and includes rental vehicle insurance excess. The Works covers single and return trips only, not annual multiple trips. 

Medical Expenses Overseas.

Medical evacuation by road or air.

Trip Cancellation Costs.

Luggage and Personal Effects.

Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess.

Personal Liability.

This is a brief summary only. For full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions read our policy wording.

What does comprehensive travel insurance cover?

Comprehensive Overseas Insurance (The Works) Budget Overseas Insurance (The Basics) Domestic Annual Multi-trip
Medical Expenses Overseas^ Unlimited $5,000,000 Not applicable Unlimited
Additional Expenses / Medical Evacuation Unlimited $500,000 $10,000 Unlimited
Cancellation Costs Unlimited $3,000 $10,000 Unlimited
Personal Liability $2,500,000 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $2,500,000
Luggage and Personal Effects $12,000 $3,000 $4,000 $12,000
Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess $4,000 Not available $4,000 $4,000
Multi-trip Not available Not available Not available Available
Get a quote Get a quote Get a quote Get a quote
^Up to one year.
‡The Works, The Basics and Domestic plans only cover single trips. The Annual plan covers multi-trips if you travel as often as you like within a 12 month period, as long as each trip is no longer than 38 days. Sub-limits apply. This is a brief summary of cover only and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. Please read our policy wording.

Comprehensive travel insurance FAQs

What are the differences between Comprehensive Overseas Travel Insurance and Budget Overseas Travel Insurance?

It’s all about more cover. The Works is our highest level of cover and is designed to give you absolute peace of mind when you're on holiday. You need more cover for your phone, more cover for delayed travel, and you definitely don’t want limits on your medical expenses! You want The Works. There’s even cover for loss of income if you can’t work after suffering an injury overseas. Often, those little extras can really fill in the gaps. It’s a lot more cover for really not that much extra up front. You can compare our plans here.

Does the comprehensive plan cover multiple trips in a three month period?

No. This plan, The Works, is only valid for the duration of either a single or return trip. The policy cover is available from the departure to the return date outlined on your quote. You will then see the dates on your Certificate of Insurance if you purchase it. Only the Annual Multi-Trip plan covers multiple trips within a 12 month period.

What about skiing and snowboarding?

You need to buy additional cover for all your winter sports. You can add it on at the time of purchase. The additional cover even includes dog sledding! Please remember to stretch in the morning before you hit the slopes.

Do you cover my phone?

Newer phones are very expensive, so you probably want to specify it on the policy. It’ll cost a bit more, but if it’s specified, cover is available. Otherwise, we can pay up to $700 for a stolen phone. 

Read the policy wording for full terms, conditions and exclusions and to ensure the product suits your needs.

Find out more about comprehensive overseas travel insurance

How much does it cost to be hospitalised in the most popular destinations?

How much does it cost to be hospitalised in the most popular destinations?

Barely a week passes without a news story breaking about an Australian getting into trouble overseas and requiring serious medical attention. And yet, people still flock overseas without travel insurance...

Find out more
Travel Insurance for working overseas

Travel Insurance for working overseas

Following a dream to work and live overseas? TID wants you to travel with confidence every step of the way. You may be planning to get a one-way ticket, build a school in Cambodia or work for a ski season...

Find out more
Who Can Buy?

Who Can Buy?

You are welcome to purchase a policy with us to cover your travels, even if you are already overseas, provided you are an Australian citizen or a resident who meets the age limits of the plan selected...

Find out more

Ready to go?

As soon as you book your tickets you should be booking travel insurance to make sure you’re covered in the lead-up to, and during your trip. Start by getting a quote below.