Travel Insurance Direct

Sports & Activities Travel Insurance

Whether you’re cycling in Sweden or snorkeling in Sri Lanka, we can cover you for a range of activities on your trip.

What is sports & activities travel insurance?

For some, the memory making and joy of a holiday is found in doing adventurous activities or participating in sports. We get that and love it too. We've included over 100 sports and activities in our cover offered.

The A-Z list of Sports & Activities 

Check all the activities we cover in the list below. Stay safe and participate in sports and activities whilst under a licensed operator and wear any safety gear that's provided. You may also require a licence to participate in some activities, according to the laws of the country you’re in.

If you don’t see your sport or activity here, please call our customer service team.


Activities in Antarctica, the Arctic Circle and Greenland (The Snow Sports Option will probably be required.)

Aerial safari (as a passenger in a licenced aircraft operated by an airline or charter company or in a hot air balloon)


American football (Gridiron)



Banana boat rides




Blackwater rafting, cave tubing

Boating, sailing

Bowling (lawn & ten pin)

Bungee jumping

Camel riding for a day or if you are on a camel trek


Canyon swing


Dancing – ballroom, salsa, Capoeira, ballet, contemporary, jazz, hip hop.

Dirt boarding

Dragon boating

Dune buggy

Elephant riding for an hour, a day or overnight


Fishing (deep sea, angling, fly fishing, on a river, boat, or standing in a lake; but excluding ice fishing)

Fly by wire


Go karting


Gym - including weights, Pilates, aqua aerobics, yoga



Hockey – field or indoor (excluding ice hockey)

Horse riding – leisure, on a tour with a licenced tour operator, non-competitive

Hot air ballooning


Ice skating – indoor and outdoor rinks

Jet boating

Jet skiing

Kayaking - white water, sea, river, lake

Kite boarding

Kite surfing

Kite wing

Land surfing

Moped, scooter - Australian and local licence for operating this class of vehicle required; must be wearing a helmet

Motor experience as a passenger only (excluding racing)

Motorcycle riding – touring, independent, organised tour, trail bike. Australian and local licence for operating this class of vehicle required. Must be wearing a helmet.

Motorcycle riding – as a passenger Must be wearing a helmet.

Mountain biking


Obstacle course

Outrigger canoeing

Outward Bound, Duke of Edinburgh

Paint ball

Parasailing over water

Quad biking


Rifle range/sports shooting

River boarding/hydrospeeding

Roller skating

Roller blading/inline skating

Rowing/sculling, surf boat rowing

Rugby League

Rugby Union

Running or jogging, including half-marathon or less, marathon and ultra-marathon distances

Safari tours

Sail boarding/wind surfing



Scuba diving, when an open water diving licence is held; diving with a licensed instructor

Shark cage diving

Segway tours


Skiing (only covered if you choose the Snow Sports Option)


Snowboarding (only covered if you choose the Snow Sports Option)




Speed boating


Stand-up paddle surfing/paddle boarding



Swimming with whales/whale sharks


Tough Mudder


Tuk Tuk as a passenger (excludes Tuk Tuk racing)



Water polo

Water skiing

White water rafting


Working or volunteering


Zip line


What's covered?


You or someone you are travelling with must contact our 24 hour emergency assistance team to arrange any medical evacuation, guarantee medical expenses to a hospital and to repatriate you to Australia.

Learn more about what we cover

What's not covered?

We will not pay for any claims arising from:

  • parachuting, sky diving, hang gliding, parapenting or travel in an air-supported device other than as a passenger in a licensed passenger aircraft operated by an airline or charter company. This does not apply to hot air ballooning or parasailing;
  • Snow Sports and activities (except those covered when you purchase the Snow sports and activities option);
  • racing (except on foot);
  • professional sports;
  • mountaineering or rock climbing using support ropes;
  • riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet and without having a valid licence as required in Australia and in the country of travel for the same class of motorcycle you are riding;
  • riding a motorcycle as a passenger without a helmet;
  • scuba diving without having an open water diving licence or diving under licenced instruction;
  • you, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally exposing themselves to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life;
  • loss, theft or damage to watercraft of any type (excluding surfboards);
  • damage to sports and leisure equipment (including surfboards) while in use;
  • breakage or damage to snow sports and leisure equipment over three years old;
  • damage to sports and leisure equipment due to normal wear and tear, including dents and scratches;
  • any search and rescue expenses; and
  • damage you cause to someone’s property or if you injure someone due to your ownership, possession or use (including as a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle or any aircraft or watercraft.

Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the policy wording

Learn more about what we don't cover

Get a quote in 3 easy steps!