Hiking, bushwalking and trekking

There’s a certain joy in using your own two feet to get to your travel destination – whether it be up, through or down and around some spectacular national park or destination.   
Our TID customers love hiking with their pack on their back which is why many of our plans includes coverage for any sudden injury or illness (including altitude sickness) when you're hiking, trekking or bushwalking. You can be on your own or as part of an organised group. 

Coverage available on the following plans:

Domestic Comprehensive Overseas Insurance (The Works) Budget Overseas Insurance (The Basics) Annual Multi-trip
Available Available Available Available

We provide cover for some of the most popular treks, listed below, provided you are hiking or trekking to your ability and aren't taking any unnecessary risks.
  • Tasmania's Three Capes
  • Lord Howe Island Mount Gower Walk
  • Mt Kilimanjaro
  • Everest Base Camp
  • Annapurna Circuit
  • Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail
  • Kokoda Trail
  • Mt Fuji
  • Mt Kenya

What's Covered

  • Overseas medical expenses (not available on the Domestic plan) for things like a sprained ankle or altitude sickness 
  • Medical evacuation
  • Loss, theft or damage to your luggage and personal effects, like if you accidentally drop your camera when taking pics of that amazing view 
  • Accidental death

Cover for your gear

Cover is available for your gear under the luggage and personal effects benefit for accidental loss, theft and accidental damage for things like your hiking boots, camping equipment, sleeping bag and Gore-Tex jacket. 
For items on the more expensive side (over the sub limits in the PDS), you can avoid depreciation by choosing to specify these items when purchasing your policy for an additional premium.  

What's not covered

There’s a whole bunch of things that can wrong if you go too far, too high or too remote.  Some things to be aware may not be covered include, but are not limited to:

  • Mountaineering – this will generally require you to use ropes, crampons and other equipment, so these treks require specialised cover that we can't provide. 
  • Reckless behaviour or taking needless risk – you should do research on the trek or hike you’re looking to take to know whether it is suitable for your fitness levels – oh, and veering off the assigned track to get a better Instagram pic is a NO NO. 
  • Racing or professional sports, ie, you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training for or participating in the activity - trekking for charity is ok!
  • Travelling somewhere against Do Not Travel warnings or government advisories– if there’s a government advisory against going there it’s probably not a good idea. This can include an entire country, region or local area.

This is a brief summary of cover only and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. Read the PDS before purchasing.


Last updated: 8 December 2021

How can we help?

Talk to us

1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.

Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm



Get in contact with us

Contact us

In an Emergency

Call +61 2 8256 1523
Worldwide 24/7