Cover When Working Overseas | Travel Insurance Direct (TID)
Living and working overseas is a dream for many who get bitten by the travel bug early on, and while it is a big decision that will no doubt change your life and outlook, the team at Travel Insurance Direct (TID) wants you to be well informed before taking this exciting step.
You may be planning to get a one-way ticket and see where the wind takes you, or you may have a three-month plan in which time you’d like to build a school in Cambodia or work for a season in the ski fields in Canada.
We can cover the following types of work (paid or volunteer):
- general farm work
- working on a yacht
- gym instructor
- yoga teacher
- swimming instructor
We will need more information if you are planning to:
- do manual work that requires the use of power tools or operating machinery, or work at heights
- work with animals
- work as a ski, snowboard or scuba instructor
- work as an instructor or guide in any other sports or activities
What we will need to know:
- who you are working for and the website for the specific programme you'll be undertaking
- where you'll be and for how long
- what you will be doing; and
- your experience and qualifications in such activities
Email this information to us and we'll pass it on to the underwriters for consideration.
- Overseas medical expenses
- Loss, theft or damage to your luggage and personal effects
- Accidental Death benefit
- Total Permanent Disability benefit (excluding Domestic policies and The Basics plan)
- Personal liability (except where you are working in your normal trade, business or profession)
Get a quote to get your next domestic or international adventure underway today.
What's not covered?
- Professional racing (except on foot)
- Any loss that is recoverable under a scheme that provides coverage for any medical treatment, for example, Medicare, a private health fund, national reciprocal health fund or scheme, workers’ compensation scheme, travel compensation fund or accident compensation scheme
- Professional sports
- You, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally exposing themselves to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life
- Loss, theft or damage to watercraft of any type (excluding surfboards)
- Damage to sports and leisure equipment (including surfboards) while in use
- Medical expenses in Australia
- Personal liability - loss or damage you cause to someone's property or if you injure someone because of your trade, business or profession or while using a mechanically propelled vehicle, watercraft, or firearm
- Working as a mountaineering or rock-climbing instructor or mountain guide where ropes or specialised equipment is used
Contact Emergency Assistance if you need help overseas
If you’re already travelling, contact our Emergency Assistance Team can help with what to do. They can help navigate what to do if you can’t travel back to Australia as planned, help you access medical attention or hospitalisation if you’re sick, or talk you through options to extend your policy if you’re stuck and can’t get home.
Need a hand?
Our Customer Service team is always available to help you to understand the policy, what you may be covered for and any documentation you need to pick up along the way. Our travel safety team at TID work to keep customers informed and publish information on major travel events on our website.
This is a brief summary of cover only. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm
Get in contact with usContact us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523