Sports and Activities
Whether you're cycling in Provence, working out at the gym, or playing footy, these are some of the sports and activities we can cover.
The A-Z of sports and activities
Activities in Antarctica, the Arctic Circle and Greenland (The Snow sports option may be required.)
Aerial safari (as a passenger in a licenced aircraft operated by an airline or charter company or in a hot air balloon)
American football (Gridiron)
Camel riding for a day or if you are on a camel trek
Dancing - ballroom, salsa, Capoeira, ballet, contemporary, jazz, hip hop.
Fishing (deep sea, angling, fly fishing, on a river, boat, or standing in a lake; but excluding ice fishing)
Fly by wire
Gym - including weights, pilates, aqua aerobics, yoga
H I J
Hockey - field or indoor (excluding ice hockey)
Horse riding - leisure, on a tour with a licenced tour operator, non-competitive
Hot air ballooning
Ice skating - indoor and outdoor rinks
Kayaking - white water, sea, river, lake
L M N
Moped, scooter - Australian and local licence for operating this class of vehicle required; must be wearing a helmet; engine capacity must be 250cc or less.
Motor experience as a passenger only (excluding racing)
Motorcycle riding - touring, independent, organised tour, trail bike.; Australian and local licence for operating this class of vehicle required.; Must be wearing a helmet; engine capacity must be 250cc or less.
Motorcycle riding - as a passenger Must be wearing a helmet; engine capacity must be 250cc or less.
O P Q
Outward Bound, Duke of Edinburgh
Parasailing over water
Rifle range/sports shooting
Roller blading/inline skating
Rowing/sculling, surf boat rowing
Running or jogging, including half-marathon or less, marathon and ultra-marathon distances
Sail boarding/wind surfing
Scuba diving, when an open water diving licence is held; diving with a licensed instructor
Shark cage diving
Skiing (only covered if you choose the Snow sports option)
Snowboarding (only covered if you choose the Snow sports option)
Stand-up paddle surfing/paddle boarding
T U V W
Tuk Tuk as a passenger (excludes Tuk Tuk racing)
White water rafting
International plans (The Works, The Basics and Annual Multi Trip) offer cover for:
- Emergency Medical assistance – including hospitalisation and medical treatment as needed.
- Evacuation and repatriation to your home country or medical facilities as needed
- Snow sports cover (You must have the add-on and have paid the additional premium to be covered at the time of purchase.)
- Rental and sports equipment
- Accidental death benefits
Domestic plans offer cover for:
- Snow sports cover – TID’s Domestic Plan offers an option to add cover for any snow sports you may participate in while on holiday. Cover includes benefits for ski lift passes, ski run closures and replacement ski rental equipment hire. (This option must be added at the time of purchase
- Hiring replacement golf and surf equipment
- Medical evacuation and repatriation (but not ambulance costs as per Australian law)
- Accidental death benefits
What's not covered?
- Mountaineering - this will generally require the use of ropes, crampons and other equipment, which means these treks require specialised cover that we can't provide.
- Reckless behaviour or taking needless risk - this applies to all sports and activities - oh, and veering off the assigned track, or balancing on the edge of a sailboat, to get a better Instagram picture is a hard no.
- Racing or professional sports - training or participating in a professional sport for example you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training or participating in the activity.
- Travelling against Do Not Travel warnings or government advisories - if there’s an advisory against going to a destination it’s probably a no-go zone and you may not be covered. This can include an entire country, region or local area so do your research beforehand.
- Being intoxicated - sports and alcohol don’t mix and if you’re hurt because you were intoxicated with drugs or alcohol then you may not be covered.
- Personal Liability - arising from your ownership, possession or use (including as a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, for example, any motor vehicle, motor cycle, aircraft or watercraft; or firearm.
- We definitely don't cover hunting, racing (except on foot), paragliding, pot holing, playing polo, rock climbing, abseiling and BASE jumping, or running with the bulls.
- Riding all terrain vehicles and quad bikes, as the operator or as a passenger.
- Participating in any competitive record attempts involving aerial devices or aircraft.
- Snow sport activities on snow or ice other than those covered by the Snow sports option.
- If you travel in international waters in a private sail vessel or privately registered sail vessel you are not covered.
- Coverage differs depending on the plan you choose so check it is the right coverage for your planned trip, and you may also need to add in snow sports activities if you’re planning on participating in any while on holiday.
- For domestic plans only - Any medical, hospital or dental expenses you incur in Australia. We cannot cover these because we are not allowed to do so by law.
This is a brief summary of cover only and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. Read the PDS before purchasing.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm
Get in contact with usContact us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523