Before your trip, check to see if there are current travel alerts for your destination – you can also view the latest government advice.
Gaza−Israel conflict: For travellers in, or planning on travelling to, Israel or the Palestinian Territories, please see our travel alert with more information.

Sports and Activities

What sports and activities am I covered for?

Whether you're planning to go mountain biking in the Alps, scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, or trekking in the Himalayas, it's crucial to consider travel insurance. You just never know when you may take a tumble or worse end up in hospital with a serious injury.

TID offers some flexible travel insurance coverage options no matter which land, air or water sport or adventure activity you’re planning. TID offers several plans that can cover many activities and sports. Our plans include:

  • The Works
  • The Basics
  • Annual Multi Trip
  • International

There are important conditions around what's covered and what's not covered that it's important to be aware of.

What's covered?

International plans (The Works, The Basics and Annual Multi Trip) offer cover for:

  • Evacuation and repatriation to your home country or medical facilities as needed
  • Snow sports cover (You must have the add-on and have paid the additional premium to be covered at the time of purchase.)
  • Rental vehicle excess insurance and sports equipment
  • Accidental death benefits

Domestic plans offer cover for:

  • Snow sports cover – TID’s Domestic Plan offers an option to add cover for any snow sports you may participate in while on holiday. Cover includes benefits for ski lift passes, ski run closures and replacement ski rental equipment hire. (This option must be added at the time of purchase
  • Hiring replacement golf and surf equipment
  • Medical evacuation and repatriation (but not ambulance costs as per Australian law)
  • Accidental death benefits

What's not covered?

  • Mountaineering - this will generally require the use of ropes, crampons, and other equipment, which means these treks require specialised cover that we can't provide.
  • Reckless behaviour or taking needless risk - this applies to all sports and activities - oh, and veering off the assigned track, or balancing on the edge of a sailboat, to get a better Instagram picture is a hard no.
  • Racing or professional sports - training or participating in a professional sport for example you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training or participating in the activity.
  • Travelling against Do Not Travel warnings or government advisories - if there’s an advisory against going to a destination it’s probably a no-go zone and you may not be covered. This can include an entire country, region or local area so do your research beforehand.
  • Being intoxicated - sports and alcohol don’t mix and if you’re hurt because you were intoxicated with drugs or alcohol then you may not be covered.
  • Personal Liability - arising from your ownership, possession, or use (including as a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, for example, any motor vehicle, motorcycle, aircraft, or watercraft; or firearm.
  • Participating in activities when you aren't appropriately qualified, licensed or being supervised where required.
  • We don't cover hunting, racing (except on foot), paragliding, pot holing, playing polo, rock climbing, abseiling, and BASE jumping, or running with the bulls.
  • Riding all-terrain vehicles and quad bikes, as the operator or as a passenger.
  • Participating in any competitive record attempts involving aerial devices or aircraft. 
  • Participating in activities on snow or ice, other than snow sports activities if you have purchased the Snow sports cover option, where available.
  • If you travel in international waters in a private sail vessel or privately registered sail vessel you are not covered.
  • Coverage differs depending on the plan you choose so check it is the right coverage for your planned trip, and you may also need to add in snow sports activities if you’re planning on participating in any while on holiday.
  • For domestic plans only - Any medical, hospital or dental expenses you incur in Australia. We cannot cover these because we are not allowed to do so by law. 

Tips on how to choose the right travel insurance when doing sports and activities

Here are a few tips to help you make the right choice when planning an adventure holiday:

  • Understand your needs: Different adventure sports and activities come with different risks. Understand the risks associated with your chosen activity and choose a policy that covers those risks.
  • Read the Fine Print: Make sure to read the Product Disclosure Statement details carefully. Understand what is covered and what is not. Look for any terms and conditions, exclusions, or limitations.
  • Compare our policies: Don't just go with the first policy you find. Compare different policies and choose the one that offers the best coverage at the best price for your sports and activity needs.
  • Check the level of cover for your sport: Some activities and sports may require extra level of cover or may not be covered. Make sure you clearly understand the level of cover for your selected activities.
  • Only work with qualified and licensed instructors - if you are planning to participate in any activities that require an instructor, then make sure whether that instructor has received the right training. They must be qualified to lead hiking, rock climbing, scuba diving, abseiling, or other types of tours and be registered with the governing association for their recreational activity.

The above features and benefits are a summary of cover only. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.

Last updated: 16 October 2023

How can we help?

Talk to us

1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.

Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm



Get in contact with us

Contact us

In an Emergency

Call +61 2 8256 1523
Worldwide 24/7