Activities in the air
Travel Insurance Direct will cover you when you travel in a licensed passenger aircraft operated by an airline or charter company, such as flying in a commercial plane or in a chartered plane. We will also cover you while you're hot air ballooning and parasailing.
- Overseas medical expenses
- Loss, theft or damage to your luggage and personal effects - for example, losing your sunnies out of a hot air balloon
- Accidental Death benefit
- Total Permanent Disability benefit (excluding Domestic policies)
What's not covered?
- Professional sports, ie, you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training for or participating in the activity;
- You, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally exposing themselves to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life;
- Any search and rescue expenses
- Medical expenses in Australia; and
- Personal liability - damage you cause to someone's property or if you injure someone arising from your ownership, possession or use (including as a passenger) of any aircraft.
We are often asked about air adventures like sky diving or hang gliding. Our policy excludes cover while:
- Sky diving
- Tandem skydiving
- Hang gliding
- BASE jumping
- Wing-suit flying
- You are a passenger in an ultra-light, glider or any air-supported device which is not operated by an airline or charter company
- You are a pilot or crew of any aircraft
You can still take a policy with us and be covered within the policy terms and conditions for the rest of your trip, but we can't cover you for anything related to these excluded activities.
If you want to be covered while doing these activities, the Insurance Council of Australia will be able to refer you to an insurer or broker who can assist. Alternatively, contact the tour operator you are booking through to see if they offer insurance.
Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the PDS.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm
Send us an EmailEmail us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523