Travel Insurance Direct’s Coronavirus travel costs benefit
It’s the modern day global pandemic that changed the way we live, but we have learnt to live with it and insure global travellers for it.
TID’s travel insurance cover offers a Coronavirus travel costs benefit on The Works, the Annual Multi Trip and Domestic plans. It offers cover for eight specific Coronavirus related events, some of which include cover for cancellation and quarantine expenses.
Cover for some Coronavirus related events is available on all our plans, but the level of benefits vary between them. This means you should take the time to compare plans and benefit levels against your planned travel.
For more information on coronavirus, travel advice, and the latest travel alerts, visit the Australian Government’s Smartraveller website.
- Your non-refundable pre-paid travel costs incurred if you have to cancel your trip when you or a member of your travelling party are diagnosed with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The non-refundable pre-paid travel arrangements of healthcare workers, residential care workers and law enforcement officers if their leave is cancelled as a result of the condition.
- Your non-refundable pre-paid travel costs if your business partner or close relative is hospitalised or dies from Coronavirus and you have to cancel your trip.
- When your accommodation is closed for cleaning following a confirmed case of Coronavirus at the accommodation, we can pay towards accommodation nearby; just make sure you get written confirmation from the accommodation provider of their closure.
- If you’re denied boarding pre-paid public transport because you’re suspected of being infected with Coronavirus, we can cover your reasonable additional travel, meals and accommodation. Don’t forget to get written confirmation from the carrier.
- Costs for your compulsory quarantine during your trip because of your or a member of your travelling party’s diagnosis or confirmed close contact with a case of Coronavirus – cover for your costs like hotel, meals and most importantly, Netflix!
- Your extra childcare costs if you’re diagnosed with Coronavirus during your trip - the ability to entertain the kids in a hotel room overseas may be hindered if you’re unwell.
- Your extra costs for care of your pets back home if you’re diagnosed with Coronavirus during your trip - we understand that hotels for our furry friends aren’t cheap!
- The Coronavirus Travel Costs benefit has a benefit limit of $2,500.00 per adult; whether you’re on the Annual multi-trip, The Works or the Domestic plan.
What we don’t cover:
- Travel to any destination (region or country) with a travel ban in place. And, yes, that means within Australia, too. Keep an eye on our TID Travel Alerts page and research the area(s) you are travelling to and read the latest government advice to see if your planned travel is affected. Australian travellers - see smartraveller.gov.au and health.gov.au.
- Risky business – just because you’ve got a face mask doesn’t mean you should be travelling into a Coronavirus hotspot or visiting someone you know has contracted the virus.
- The purchasing of a policy after you become aware of something that may likely lead to a claim.
- Ignoring a doctor’s advice that you are not well enough to travel and travelling anyway – many of us have probably hopped on a plane with the sniffles before, but times have changed.
Travel with confidence
Our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team is always available to help you to understand the policy, what you may be covered for and any documentation you need to pick up along the way.
Get a quote to get your next domestic or international adventure underway today.
Contact Emergency Assistance if you need help overseas
If you’ve received a positive COVID diagnosis and you’re already travelling, contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team who can help with what to do. They can help navigate what to do if you can’t travel home as planned, help you access medical attention or hospitalisation if you’re sick, or talk you through options to extend your policy if you’re stuck and can’t get home.
If your diagnosis is at the end of your trip and you are unfit to travel, your policy may automatically extend to when you’re able to fly and get home by the first available flight.
Call the Emergency Assistance line or email our team day or night as required.
This is a brief summary of cover only. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm
Get in contact with usContact us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523