Your travel plans can change rapidly when your scheduled transport is affected by severe weather, natural disaster, riots, strikes or a civil commotion. You may need to make some quick decisions or spend some time online or on the phone trying to get some options.
If you find yourself in this situation, first contact your carrier to learn what travel options you have. You need to obtain written confirmation from the carrier detailing the reason for the cancellation or rescheduling of your transport.
Once you know your options you need to minimise your costs. If you know you'll be spending the night, don't book into a 5 star hotel when the rest of your trip is 3 star, as it's unlikely we'll pay for it.
Travel with confidence
Our 24 hour assistance team is always available to help you to understand the policy, what you'll be covered for and any documentation you need to pick up along the way.
Our travel safety team at TID will keep customers informed in real time. When there is a major event, we will publish information on our website and Tripwise app for our customers. If you have Tripwise on the road, then make sure you refresh the content as we may have some new info for you.
Reasonable additional accommodation and travel expenses because your scheduled public transport services have been cancelled or restricted due to severe weather, natural disaster, riot, hijacking, strike or civil commotion.
- You need to do all you can to avoid the expense. This sounds obvious but when you're in the moment you may decide to take matters into your own hands, incurring additional expenses that could have been avoided if you had taken the advice from the carrier.
- Minimise expenses where possible and book the same standard as the rest of your trip.
- Provide written confirmation from the carrier as to the reasons for the delay or restriction.
What's not covered?
- If the event was something you knew about before buying your policy
- Any delays caused by the carrier
Please read Section 3 Additional Expenses as well as Exclusions to Sections 1-13 and General Exclusions for the terms, conditions and exclusions that apply.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm
Send us an EmailEmail us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523