The TID policy will cover you for martial arts when there is no contact other than hand to hand contact, eg, holding up your gloves for someone to hit into while training. This would include karate, Tae Bo and cardio kickboxing in a gym class.
We get enquiries from customers who are going to training camps such as Muay Thai training in Thailand. While many will have a strong fitness focus, the policy will not cover you if you’re participating in, or training for, a professional sporting activity.
At TID we classify a professional sporting activity as, “a sporting activity where you are paid to participate, appear or train or where you receive sponsorship, income or prize money, regardless of whether or not you are a professional sportsperson.”
If you are intending to do a martial art, this is what you need to know:
- Overseas medical expenses
- Cancellation and/or rearrangement
- Accidental Death benefit
- Total Permanent Disability benefit (excluding Domestic policies)
What's not covered?
- Professional sports ie, you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training for or participating in the activity;
- You, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally placing themselves in circumstances or undertaking activities which pose a risk to their personal safety, except in an attempt to save a human life;
- Personal liability- arising from your intentional, unlawful, wilfully negligent, or malicious act, for example, damage you cause to someone's property or if you injure someone;
- Medical expenses in Australia
If you aren't sure whether your martial art will be covered, please contact our customer service team with a website address for the specific programme you'll be undertaking, details of what you will be doing, what supervision is provided, where you are going and for how long, and we will pass it on to our underwriters for consideration.
This is a brief summary of cover only and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. Read the PDS before purchasing.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm
Get in contact with usContact us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523