Travelling in Australia

When it comes to travelling around Australia, TID offers great value especially if you are renting a car, motorhome or campervan. Here's some more information about our Domestic policy.

A domestic trip is when you have arranged an overnight stay and accommodation and/or transport is pre-arranged with a travel services provider.

Rental vehicle insurance excess

The rental vehicle insurance excess benefit in the TID policy means that you won't need to pay the rental car company to reduce the excess on their policy. However, the vehicle still needs to be insured for damages through the rental car company. We'll cover the excess up to $4,000 and you can increase it up to $6,000 for an additional premium.

Medical cover

Medical expenses are not covered by the TID policy while you are in Australia. We will cover you for repatriation if medically necessary, but any medical expenses including ambulance are not covered. The Private Health Insurance Act 2007 prevents us from covering your medical expenses in Australia, as we aren't registered to do so.

Cover for your deposits and pre-paid travel arrangements

Booking an expensive trip to the Whitsundays? Then the cancellation cover may come in handy. You'll be covered for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel and accommodation expenses if you need to cancel before you go for unforseen reasons. The cancellation section will cover you for the costs to rearrange your trip if that works out cheaper than cancelling altogether.

Luggage and personal effects

Luggage and personal effects are also covered when you are travelling in Australia. Some home contents policies offer cover for 'portables' that you list on your policy. If you experience permanent loss, theft or accidental damage to an item also insured on your home contents policy, you can still claim through us, but let us know the policy number and insurer for your home contents policy, and we will liaise with that insurer. You won't be able to claim the same costs on both policies, but we'll work with them to assist with the claim or recover our costs.

Cruising in Australian waters

If you are cruising around Australia, make sure you select 'Australian Waters' as your destination; otherwise, you won't be covered to see the doctor on board.

Benefit limits on a Domestic policy

  • Luggage and personal effects are covered up to $4,000 on a single policy, $8,000 on a family policy.
  • Cancellation costs (loss of deposits or pre-paid travel arrangements), $10,000 single/$20,000 family
  • Additional expenses/Medical evacuation, $10,000 single/$20,000 family
  • Rental vehicle insurance excess, $4,000
  • Accidental death, $10,000 single/$20,000 family
  • Personal liability, $1,000,000
  • Snow sports and activities option - cover under Sections 2, 3, 12, 14 and 15 is extended when you participate in the activities listed in Section 16.1.

What's not covered

  • Medical expenses and ambulance costs in Australia
  • Loss of income
  • Out of pocket expenses
  • Travel delay
  • Return airfare
  • Resumption of trip
  • Special events
  • Withdrawal of services
  • Total permanent disability
  • Business travel benefits

An excess applies to most sections of the policy. Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the PDS.

Last updated: 28 November 2016

How can we help?

Talk to us

1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.

Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm



Send us an Email

Email us

In an Emergency

Call +61 2 8256 1523
Worldwide 24/7