Sports and activities we don't cover
If you choose to do any of the following you will still be covered for the rest of your trip, but not for claims arising from participating in any of these sports or activities.
- Activities on frozen lakes and rivers
- Flying in an ultralight or glider
- Hang gliding
- Ice climbing
- Ice fishing
- Ice hockey
- Parachuting (e.g. BASE jumping)
- Paragliding, parapenting, parascending
- Power assisted skiing
- Racing except on foot (for example, Ice Run, Mongol Derby, Mongol Rally, Mototaxi Junket, other motor racing experiences, Rickshaw Run, Triathlon, World Cycle Race)
- Rock climbing with ropes
- Ski acrobatics
- Ski jumping
- Skydiving, tandem skydiving
- Snow biking
- Snow kiting
- Snow rafting
- Snow tubing
While this is not an exhaustive list, the following are the main exclusions that would apply to all sports and activities. If you don't see your activity listed above check our list of covered activities or call our customer service team on 1300 843 843 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Saturdays 9am -5pm.
Main exclusions relating to sports and activities
- Parachuting, sky diving, hang gliding, parapenting or travel in an air supported device other than as a passenger in a licensed passenger aircraft operated by an airline or charter company. This does not apply to hot air ballooning or parasailing;
- Snow sports and activities (except those covered when you purchase the Snow Sports and Activities Option);
- Racing (except on foot);
- Taking part in professional sports;
- Mountaineering or rock climbing using support ropes;
- Riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet and without having a valid licence as required in Australia and in the country of travel for the same class of motorcycle you are riding;
- Riding a motorcycle as a passenger without a helmet;
- Scuba diving without having an open water diving licence or diving under licensed instruction;
- You, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally exposing themselves to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life;
- Loss, theft or damage to watercraft of any type (excluding surfboards);
- Damage to sports and leisure equipment (including surfboards) while in use ;
- Breakage or damage to snow sports and leisure equipment over three years old;
- Damage to sports and leisure equipment due to normal wear and tear, including dents and scratches;
- Any search and rescue expenses
- Medical expenses within Australia; and
- Damage you cause to someone's property or if you injure someone due to your ownership, possession or use (including as a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, any aircraft or any watercraft.
Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the PDS.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm
Send us an EmailEmail us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523