Before your trip, check to see if there are current travel alerts for your destination – you can also view the latest government advice.
Gaza−Israel conflict: For travellers in, or planning on travelling to, Israel or the Palestinian Territories, please see our travel alert with more information.

What Are The Sports and Activities We Don’t Cover? | TID

While we offer cover for a long list of sports and activities for you to enjoy while on holiday, you need to be aware that there are some that are not covered under any of our policies.

If you choose to do any of the following sports and activities in the list below you will still be covered for the rest of your trip, but not for claims arising from participating in any of the following sports or activities:

  • Activities on frozen lakes and rivers
  • Bobsleighing/bobsledding
  • Flying in an ultralight, hang glider or glider where you’re participating in a competitive record attempt
  • Ice climbing
  • Ice fishing
  • Ice hockey
  • Mountaineering
  • Parachuting (e.g., BASE jumping)
  • Paragliding, parapenting, parascending
  • Racing except on foot (for example, Ice Run, Mongol Derby, Mongol Rally, Mototaxi Junket, other motor racing experiences, Rickshaw Run, Triathlon, World Cycle Race)
  • Rock climbing with ropes
  • Skeleton
  • Ski acrobatics
  • Skijoring
  • Ski jumping
  • Skydiving, tandem skydiving
  • Snow biking
  • Snow kiting
  • Snow rafting
  • Snow tubing

While this is not an exhaustive list, the following are the main exclusions that would apply to all sports and activities.

If you don't see your chosen sport or activity listed above check our list of covered activities or call our customer service team on 1300 843 843 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Saturdays 9am -5pm.

Main exclusions related to sports and activities

  • Snow sports and activities (except those covered when you purchase the Snow sports option);
  • Racing (except on foot);
  • Taking part in professional sports;
  • Mountaineering using support ropes, abseiling, or rock climbing;
  • Riding a motorcycle with an engine capacity greater than 250 cc or without having a valid licence as required in your country of residence and in the country of travel;
  • Riding a motorcycle as a passenger without a helmet;
  • Scuba diving without having an open water diving licence or diving under licensed instruction;
  • You or a member of your travelling party intentionally and recklessly placing themselves in circumstances, or undertaking activities which pose a risk to their personal safety (except in an attempt to save a human life);
  • Loss, theft, or damage to watercraft of any type (excluding surfboards);
  • Damage to sports and leisure equipment (including surfboards) while in use;
  • Damage to sports and leisure equipment due to normal wear and tear;
  • Medical expenses within Australia; and
  • Damage you cause to someone's property or if you injure someone due to your ownership, possession or use (including as a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, any aircraft or any watercraft, or firearm.

Tips on how to choose the right travel insurance when doing sports and activities

Here are a few tips to help you make the right choice when planning an adventure holiday:

  • Understand your needs: different adventure sports and activities come with different risks. Understand the risks associated with your chosen activity and choose a policy that covers those risks.
  • Read the Fine Print: make sure to read the Product Disclosure Statement details carefully. Understand what is covered and what is not. Look for any terms and conditions, exclusions or limitations.
  • Compare our policies: don't just go with the first policy you find. Compare different policies and choose the one that offers the best coverage at the best price for your sports and activity needs.
  • Check the level of cover for your sport: some activities and sports may require extra level of cover or may not be covered. Make sure you clearly understand the level of cover for your selected activities.
  • Only work with qualified and licensed instructors - if you are planning to participate in any activities that require an instructor, then make sure whether that instructor has received the right training. They must be qualified to lead hiking, rock climbing, scuba diving, abseiling, or other types of tours and be registered with the governing association for their recreational activity.

Emergency Assistance support 24/7

Emergency Assistance Team are on call 24/7 to help get you back to enjoying your sports and activities. The EA team can help in any kind of medical emergency and are ready to answer urgent questions.

Get a quote to get your next domestic or international adventure underway today.

This is a brief summary of cover only and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions. Read the PDS before purchasing. 

Need a hand?

Our Customer Service team is always available to help you to understand the policy, what you may be covered for and any documentation you need to pick up along the way. Our travel safety team at TID work to keep customers informed and publish information on major travel events on our website.

Last updated: 16 October 2023

How can we help?

Talk to us

1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.

Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm



Get in contact with us

Contact us

In an Emergency

Call +61 2 8256 1523
Worldwide 24/7