Phones, Cameras and Laptops | Travel Insurance Direct (TID)
Very few globetrotters these days take flight without their suite of tech-friendly devices. That is why our TID policies - The Works, The Basics, Domestic and Annual Multi Trip – offers cover for your luggage & personal effects if they are stolen, permanently lost or accidentally damaged due to circumstances outside your control.
What do TID policies cover?
All mobile phones, including iPhones and Android phones, are covered up to AUD$700, so if your phone is more than AUD$700 you can add it as a valuable item, so it is listed on your policy for the original purchase price, up to AUD$4,000.
Personal computer, cameras and video equipment
There are varying levels of cover for your laptops, notebooks, tablets, cameras and video cameras depending on which one of our plans you buy - The Basics, The Works, or the Annual Multi Trip plan. For example, if you are travelling on a budget, The Basics plan offers cover for you for your luggage and personal effects up to a maximum limit of AU$2,000, and an individual item limit of AU$700. If a laptop, notebook, tablet, camera and/or video camera needs to be covered for higher limits, you’ll be able to access higher benefit limits with our The Works or Annual Multi Trip plans.
All of the information can be viewed in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), and also accessed when your Certificate of Insurance is issued.
What's not covered
There’s a number of things our policies don’t cover. It’s important you know what they are before you set off on your adventure of a lifetime. Be sure you understand the policy exclusions around tech gear and personal effects, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Personal computers, smartphones, communication or photographic equipment, electronic equipment, jewellery or watches left by you in a motor vehicle, a motor home or a caravan for any length of time, even if they are locked in the motor vehicle, motor home or caravan
- Luggage or personal effects left by you for any length of time:
- in an unlocked motor vehicle, motor home or caravan; or
- unconcealed in a motor vehicle, motor home or caravan; or
- between sunset and sunrise in a motor vehicle, motor home or caravan.
- Luggage or personal effects left by you in a tent for any length of time
- Personal computers, smartphones, communication or photographic equipment, electronic equipment, jewellery or watches checked in as luggage
- Losses arising from wear and tear or depreciation of property or damage by the action of insects or vermin, mildew, humidity, rust or corrosion
- Malfunction repair costs or losses arising from mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Any loss arisingfrom:
- the use of, or inability to use any application, software, or program in connection with any electronic equipment (for example a computer, smartphone, tablet or internet-capable electronic device); or
- any computer virus or other malicious computer software; or
- any hoax relating to a. and/or b. above.
If I have to claim, do you calculate depreciation?
Yes, we do. If you have to claim for theft or damage to any of your personal effects, we will apply depreciation for age and wear. You can avoid depreciation by specifically adding them as valuable items so that they are listed on your policy. Simply get a quote and look for extra cover for valuable items on the options page. You will need to add the original purchase price of the item and pay an additional premium. Ensure you have a receipt for the item showing the original purchase price, as depreciation may be applied if you don't have a receipt.
Is there a policy excess?
Yes, there is. When you purchase your policy the team at TID will offer you to choose the excess you want to apply to your claims. We will let you know the applicable premium you have to pay and your excess will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance. It is worth noting that you can't remove your policy excess after you have purchased your policy.
What information do I need to make a luggage claim?
If you need to make a luggage claim, please understand what we require if your gear is lost, stolen or damaged.
Travel with confidence
Our dedicated Customer Service team is always available to help you to understand the policy, what you may be covered for and any documentation you need to pick up along the way.
Worldwide Emergency Assistance 24/7
Our Emergency Assistance team are on call 24/7 to help get you back to doing the things you love. The EA team are on call 24/7 to help in any kind of medical or non-medical emergency, and ready to answer any urgent questions.
Get a quote to get your next domestic or international adventure underway today.
This is a brief summary of cover only. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm
Get in contact with usContact us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523