What to do if you need a hospital while you’re on your travels | TID
- The Procedure for Medical Assistance
- Information required at time of outreach
- Paying the hospital
- What’s covered?
- What is the most we will pay?
- What’s not covered?
Plenty of time and effort goes into planning a holiday, and it’s safe to say none of us expect that we’ll be ditching our luxurious beachside digs in favour of a hospital bed, but it can happen, so it’s wise to know the facts.
Whether you’ve taken out the Basics, Works or Annual Multi Trip insurance cover with TID your policy includes medical cover (limits may apply, refer the PDS for full detail).
The Procedure for Medical Assistance
If you find yourself in need of medical attention, it’s wise to call TID’s Emergency Assistance Team. You can do this via the telephone and email 24/7 or Facebook (monitored during business hours only).
You can reach the Emergency Assistance Team on +61 2 9234 3123 or +61 2 8256 1523. They’ll talk to everyone including doctors in your hospital, your family and your local doctor if required to make sure you get the best treatment.
Our assistance company deals with thousands of cases every year all around the world and stop dramas becoming crises.
Sometimes it'll be better for you to rest and have treatment where you are, in which case TID may arrange for a flight for a family member to come and stay with you. If we agree it's medically necessary, we'll arrange to bring you home.
Our Emergency Assistance team deals in many languages and provides 24-hour assistance when you really need it, so it is vitally important that you call them at the first sign of anything untoward.
Email / Facebook
From experience we understand that the telephone isn't always suitable for every situation. Other ways you can get in touch if you need help:
Email: [email protected]
Most of our customers are on Facebook and so are we. If you have WiFi access, ask for help on our Facebook page which is monitored during business hours.
Information required at time of outreach
When you reach out to the TID team, to ensure we can assist you swiftly, please have the following information to hand:
- Your travel insurance policy number.
- A contact number for where you are at the time you make the call.
- The nature of your problem.
- If you are ill or injured, we will need details of medical consultations you have had.
Paying the hospital
In an emergency where hospitalisation and/or medical evacuation are required, assuming the Emergency Assistance team has been contacted and given authority to do so, the insurer can cover these costs upfront (subject to a covered event occurring).
If it is not an emergency and the costs are not excessive, then you would be expected to pay upfront and make a claim when you return home.
- Reasonable and necessary emergency medical, hospital and ambulance expenses that you incur arising from your death or your new illness or injury, or automatically covered condition.
- A return economy class airfare and reasonable accommodation for a friend or relative to travel directly to you, if you are hospitalised with a sudden, life-threatening injury or illness during your trip.
- Dental treatment expenses you incur arising from an injury to healthy natural teeth and which cannot be delayed until your return to Australia.
- TID covers you if you are hospitalised overseas for more than 48 continuous hours because of an illness or injury which first happened while you were outside Australia on your trip (The Works and Annual Multi Trip policies only).
What is the most we will pay?
The most we will pay for this benefit is shown in the Schedule of benefits for your chosen plan. Limits apply per adult traveller and are not increased for accompanying children.
What’s not covered?
- Medical expenses arising from you travelling with the intention of receiving medical treatment.
- A loss arising from an illness or injury, the signs and symptoms of which you first became aware of after you purchased your policy but before you started your trip, where you did not obtain confirmation from your medical practitioner that you were fit to travel.
Need a hand?
Our Customer Service team is always available to help you to understand the policy, what you may be covered for and any documentation you need to pick up along the way. Our travel safety team at TID work to keep customers informed and publish information on major travel events on our website.
Worldwide Emergency Assistance 24/7
Our Emergency Assistance team are on call 24/7 to help get you back to doing the things you love. The EA team are on call 24/7 to help in any kind of medical or non-medical emergency, and ready to answer any urgent questions.
Our team will also work closely with the claims department, which will assess your entitlement to financial assistance.
Our team is connected with a global network that provides:
- Medical care;
- Medical transfer to a hospital or repatriation to Australia where necessary;
- Guidance and support even if your loss may not be covered by the policy;
- Access to general policy and coverage advice, and
- Access to translation services.
This is a brief summary of cover only. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm
Get in contact with usContact us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523