Taking a gap year in the UK and Europe

Reading time: 3 minutes


Travel Insurance for Students (UK)

Just like any classroom, the world can teach us things about ourselves and others that we didn’t know before we pulled out our passports and hit the global trail.

Young Aussies have been making the trek to take a year out in the UK and Europe, with the lure of working visas and an English speaking country helping turn this trek into a rite of passage for so many.

Whether your plan is for a gap year adventure, working the pubs and clubs to scrape the funds together for weekend getaways to Europe, or to kick start your career with experience at an international company, the excitement of steering your own path and immersing yourself in a country that’s not your own can be liberating.

Why should you consider travel insurance?

Whatever the pull, travel insurance could be as important as your passport and, despite even the most water-tight of itineraries, flights do get delayed, personal belongings get stolen, and illness may strike – it’s all part of travel.

What’s covered?

Travel can be daunting if you’re a first-timer. Having a travel insurance policy means that you have back-up in case certain things go wrong, for example if you encounter weather delays, have unexpected accommodation or activity/tour cancellations, or you’re unexpectedly injured or sick your expenses could be covered.  Some things travel insurance can help with include:

  • The cost related to the accidental loss, damage or theft of your belongings.
  • Overseas medical expenses and medical evacuation if you’re sick or injured may help to get you back on track, or get you home if needed.
  • Worldwide Emergency Assistance is available 24/7 – if you need help finding medical assistance, have lost your passport and don’t know where to go or find yourself in a sticky situation, our team are there to support you.

Other helpful features of Travel Insurance Direct’s travel insurance plans include:

  • Optional additional cover for valuables like camera equipment or laptops
  • Optional additional cover for Snow sports – this is a must if you’re planning on hitting the slopes in Verbier or the Italian Alps between study sessions and want to be covered to ski or snowboard.
  • Buy while on the road: Already on your way?  That’s fine – you can get a quote now and purchase even if you’ve already left home, although a waiting period may apply.
  • Getting an extension: While we’re not sure how much we are going to love or loathe our travel choices, if you have booked for three months initially and then realise there is so much more to see, you can extend your policy’s duration, no dramas. Do make sure you give yourself enough time to do that, though as once a policy expires, you’ll have to buy a new one and a waiting period may apply.
  • Travelling one way? No worries! Although it is worth noting that some visas require that you have a return ticket, so be sure to do your research ahead of time. If you plan on travelling to the UK for longer than six months – to work, volunteer or otherwise – you may need to apply for a visa.

What’s not covered?

  • Travel insurance may not cover you if you are denied entry into a destination because you have the incorrect visa. Always check the requirements no matter the destination, particularly as there’s been many changes since the COVID pandemic.
  • Personal liability expenses that are related to your trade, business or profession.
  • Intentionally reckless behaviour that results in injury or loss, for example undertaking activities under the influence of alcohol, speeding, or taking unnecessary risks.
  • Failure to adhere to warnings issued by the World Health Organization, Smartraveller, or local authorities.
  • If you have an existing medical condition that is not one of our automatically covered conditions or where you don’t meet the criteria to be covered for an automatically covered condition.
  • Any loss that is recoverable under a scheme that provides coverage for any medical treatment; for example, Medicare, a private health fund, national reciprocal health fund or scheme, workers’ compensation scheme, travel compensation fund or accident compensation scheme.

This is a brief summary of cover only and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. Read the PDS before purchasing.


TID is an Australian online travel insurance company.


What’s the difference between driving in New Zealand and Australia?

If you're planning on going across the ditch on holiday, we've put together some New Zealand driving advice for ...



How to enjoy a Italian getaway in Tuscany on a budget

When you picture Tuscany what are the first things that come to mind? If you’re like us, perhaps it’s ...


Food & Drink

Gastro tourism: up and coming destinations

Gastro tourism - also known as 'eating your way around the world'. Here are the up and coming destinations for ...