Before your trip, check to see if there are current travel alerts for your destination – you can also view the latest government advice.
Gaza−Israel conflict: For travellers in, or planning on travelling to, Israel or the Palestinian Territories, please see our travel alert with more information.

Lost, Stolen or Damaged Gear | Travel Insurance Direct (TID)

When we set off on our travels, more often than not we’re wearing our rose-coloured glasses and why not, for most of us, the realisation of this moment has been months in the making.

What isn’t so clear is just what we may be faced with along the way, and that’s where TID comes in. Claims for luggage and personal effects are one of the most common claims from travellers when it comes to insurance.

Whichever TID policy you choose -  The Works, The Basics, Domestic and Annual Multi Trip –  offers cover  for accidental loss, stolen and accidentally damaged luggage items. Terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions that apply.

Get a quote to get your next domestic or international adventure underway today.

What’s covered?

Under each of our plans we may provide cover for the following:

  1. Accidental loss, theft of, or damage to, your luggage or personal effects including things you buy during the trip, while they are accompanying you during your trip.
  2. Loss of, or damage to, dentures or dental prostheses whilst not on your person during your trip.
  3. The cost of medical consultation fees you incur to replace prescription medication, which is accidentally lost, stolen or damaged, together with the cost of the medication itself.
  4. Theft of, or damage to, your luggage or personal effects while they are left concealed during daylight hours in a locked motor vehicle, motor home, or caravan. There must be proof of forced entry into the vehicle.
  5. Theft of, or damage to, your luggage or personal effects while they are left in a locked storage facility. There must be proof of forced entry into the facility.

What is not covered?

There is no cover under this section for any of the following:

  1. Accidental loss or damage to or theft of:
  • cash, bank or currency notes, cheques or negotiable instruments other than allowed for under the Stolen cash section;
  • fragile or brittle items (e.g., glass or China), except loss or damage caused by fire, or by accident to the transport carrying them;
  • luggage or personal effects that are being transported independently of you or that you leave unattended or that occurs because you do not take reasonable care to protect it.
  1. Losses arising from wear and tear or depreciation of property or damage by the action of insects or vermin, mildew, humidity, rust or corrosion.
  • malfunction repair costs or losses arising from mechanical or electrical breakdown.
  • where you have made a claim for the same costs under any other section of the policy.

This is just a summary, please refer to the PDS for the full outline.


What should I do if I am robbed?
If you have something stolen by humans you should report the incident to the police and other appropriate authority as soon as possible as you’ll need to provide us with evidence that you suffered a loss covered by the policy before we’ll pay you for it. While we understand that this can be a challenge in a country where you don't speak the language and payment may even be required, you will need to provide evidence which confirms the incident for a claim to be considered. See the PDS for further detail.

What do I do if I lose something?
If you lose something you still need to report it to the police or other appropriate authority. We understand that at times a loss may occur in a national park 3 days away from any police station, so once you return to civilisation, report your loss to the police.

What if its lost on public transport or in your accommodation?
If your item is lost, stolen or damaged while on public transport or in your accommodation, you will need to provide documentation which demonstrates you’ve reported it to the relevant authority, such as the transport/accommodation provider or police.

What do I need to do to provide proof of ownership and value?
Provide receipts for the items that have been lost/stolen/damaged. If you don't have receipts, then provide warranty cards, the box that the item was in, the manual and/or a copy of the bank/credit card statement when you purchased it. If it was a gift from a friend, ask if they have the receipt or statement from when they purchased it. What we are looking for is proof that the item was yours, and the original cost of the item.

What is the excess and how does that work?
An excess will be deducted from each luggage and personal effects claim, unless you removed the excess for an additional premium when you purchased your policy, where available.
We may ask for translations of documents because even though we have many different languages in the company, we can't be across all languages. If you can get the translation done before you put your claim in that may speed things up.

What is the most we will pay?

The most we will pay for this benefit is shown in the Schedule of benefits for your chosen plan. Limits apply per adult traveller and are not increased for accompanying children. We will not pay more than the original price you paid for an item, even if the applicable limit set out in the Schedule of benefits is higher.

TID will, after allowing for wear, tear, and depreciation, choose to:

  1. pay or reimburse the cost of repairing your item; or
  2. replace your property; or
  3. pay you its depreciated value in cash.

Travel with confidence

Our Customer Service team is always available to help you to understand the policy, what you may be covered for and any documentation you need to pick up along the way.

Our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team is on call to help in any kind of medical emergency, and ready to answer urgent questions. Our team is connected with a global network, that provides:

  • Medical care
  • Medical transfer to a hospital or repatriation to Australia where necessary
  • Medical-related guidance and support even if your loss may not be covered by the policy
  • Access to translation services.

This is a brief summary of cover only. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
Last updated: 11 September 2023

How can we help?

Talk to us

1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.

Monday to Friday
9:00am - 6:00pm



Get in contact with us

Contact us

In an Emergency

Call +61 2 8256 1523
Worldwide 24/7