Visas and Passports for the UK

Reading time: 2 minutes

Do I need to apply for a Visa?

Australians travelling to the UK do not need to apply for a visa if staying for under six months for the purposes of tourism. Those planning to partake in paid or unpaid work, volunteering or to get married in the UK must obtain a visa before departing Australia. To discover whether you need to apply for a visa for purposes other than tourism, consult the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Can I extend my visa and what are the costs involved?

If you originally applied for a three-month visitor visa, you can extend it up to the six month period. Learn more.

Customs Regulations

What are you allowed to bring in and what are the limits?

Alcohol – What you are allowed to bring in depends on the variety of drink:

  • Beer – 16 litres
  • Wine (not sparkling) – 4 litres
  • Spirits and other liquors over 22per cent alcohol – 1 litre
  • Fortified wine, sparkling wine and alcoholic drinks up to 22 per cent alcohol – 2 litres

You can only split the allowance of spirits, not beer or wine.

Tobacco – You can bring in one from the following:

  • 200 cigarettes
  • 100 cigarillos
  • 50 cigars
  • 250 grams tobacco

This allowance can be split as long as the outcome equals a balance of the total sum.

You may also have to pay excise duty on tobacco and alcohol you declare.

Cash – All visitors must declare cash over €10,000. Failure to do so may result in fines of £5,000.

What is restricted?

For visitors outside the EU, meat and dairy products (other than powdered infant milk, infant food, special foods and special pet feed required for medical reasons) are not permitted.

Other examples of restricted items include:

  • Illegal drugs
  • Offensive weapons
  • Self-defence sprays. For example pepper spray
  • Endangered animal and plant species
  • Rough diamonds
  • Indecent and obscene materials

Firearms, explosives and ammunition are also not permitted and a special licence is needed to bring them into the UK.


Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months from the date you intend to return to Australia and that it is kept safe at all times to reduce the risk of theft.

Note: Information is current as of March 26, 2018. For up to date information please check with UK Visas and Immigration.


TID is an Australian online travel insurance company.


What if the volcano erupts?

There has been an increase in volcanic activity over the past several weeks at Mount Agung, Bali. UPDATE: Eruption ...



Luxury Australian Experiences: Where to Travel for That Little Bit Extra

  None of us could have imagined the unprecedented events that have unfolded in recent months. For most of us, ...


Health & Medical

Phil Sylvester on 2UE: Talking Lifestyle – 01/12/16

Listen to TID’s Phil Sylvester Talking Travel every week on the new 2UE:Talking Lifestyle station. Phil joins ...