Visas and Passports for New Zealand

Reading time: 2 minutes

Do I need to apply for a Visa?

Australian citizens visiting New Zealand do not need a visa to enter the country and they can stay for three months. However, this can vary depending on history of criminal activity. For lengthier stays, New Zealand authorities will likely ask to see a return flight to ensure Australians aren’t intending on working or moving there unlawfully. Learn more.

Can I extend my visa and what are the costs involved?

You can extend your visa but the process will vary on your travel conditions – learn more. The process and fees vary based on the region in New Zealand for which you are applying to.

Customs Regulations

What are you allowed to bring in?

It’s important to note that you need to declare goods you’re bringing into the country on your passenger arrival card as there are strict penalties for not doing so.

You’re allowed to bring:

  • 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of cigars or tobacco products or
  • 50 grams of a mixture of all three
  • 5 litres of wine or beer
  • 3 bottles (or other containers) of spirits or liqueur (each bottle or container can hold a maximum of 1.125 litres)

For more information what you can bring into New Zealand, visit the Custom Service website.

What is restricted?

Items that are prohibited and restricted include those that are potentially harmful such as drugs, weapons, explosives or indecent material. This especially includes biological hazardous goods. For a complete list of restricted goods, visit the Custom Service website.

What are the duty free/import limits?

Depending on what goods you are bringing in, there may be a Customs duty and other charges once you arrive.

For more details on duties, fees and charges, visit the Customs Service website.


Australians entering New Zealand need to have a passport that is valid on the day of arrival. This means they need six months of validity on an Australian passport. Be sure to carry photo identification with yourself at all times while in the country.

Note: Information is current as of March 26, 2018. For up to date information please check the nearest Embassy or Consulate of  New Zealand or New Zealand Immigration Service.


TID is an Australian online travel insurance company.

Health & Medical

International Driving Licenses

Do I need a license to drive? In most countries if you have a valid driver’s license from home you’re ...



Family friendly things to see and do in Hawaii

If you're heading on a family friendly holiday to Hawaii, you're in for a treat. There are so many activities the ...



What to expect in Phuket’s vegetarian festival

Even if you aren't a vegetarian this is a festival you should attend when visiting Phuket, Thailand. Come see why ...