Visas and Passports for Japan

Reading time: 2 minutes

Do I need to apply for a visa?

Australians travelling to Japan do not need a visa when travelling for tourism purposes. However, each trip is limited to 90 days, and therefore a return ticket is required. Standard procedure for short-term visitors entering the country includes being photographed and fingerprints being taken, for security reasons. Learn more.

Can I extend my visa and what are the costs involved?

Yes, to apply, visit your nearest immigration bureau before the first visa expires. There will be a processing fee of ¥4000. For more information on where to find the nearest bureau to your location, visit Japan’s immigration website.

If you are travelling in Japan, you will be issued a resident card which should be carried with you at all times.

Customs Regulations

What are the duty free limits?

Japan has regular customs requirements. This includes a written declaration of your belongings, when entering the country. Customs works on a green and red channel system. The green channel is for passengers without any goods that would be subject to duty and/or tax and goods that are not restricted for import (these are your standard goods like processed food, tobacco, perfume, etc.). The red channel is for all other passengers who need to claim their goods that are in large quantities.

If you are bringing in goods that exceed ¥300,000 then Customs requires you follow commercial cargo procedures.

For a complete list of what you can and cannot bring into the country, visit the customs website.

What is restricted?

Restricted goods include plants and animals. Upon bringing these into the country, you will be subject to a quarantine inspection by an officer prior to Customs examination. Additionally, there are restrictions on imports of certain medicines and cosmetics. A supply of pharmaceutical products for more than two months will be examined.

Prohibited items include the following:

  • Drugs
  • Firearms
  • Explosives
  • Materials for chemical weapons
  • Counterfeit currency
  • Obscene books or drawings (ex. pornography)
  • Anything that infringes upon intellectual property rights.


Your standard passport is all you need to enter Japan, however it must be valid for the duration of your stay in Japan. To be on the safe, travellers should have their passport on them at all times.

Note: Information is current as of March 26, 2018. For up to date information please check the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan.


TID is an Australian online travel insurance company.

Travel Alert: Cover is not available for loss arising from government restrictions including travel bans, border closures and broadly imposed quarantine requirements, or failure to follow government advice. If your travel is affected by government restrictions, we have options available if you no longer need your policy. See our travel alerts.


Top tips for staying safe on European beaches

To ensure that you have a safe, enjoyable time, we've put together our top tips for looking after yourself on ...



How to avoid scams during the Spanish summer

Spain is a lovely location to escape the cold Australian winter. However, you'll need to be aware of scams and how ...



Travelling on the long distance railway around Australia

Want to see Australia in style? Travel across Australia via these luxurious railway packages and take it all ...