Visas and Passports for France

Reading time: 2 minutes

Do I need to apply for a Visa?

France is part of the Schengen area so you don’t need to apply for a visa unless you’re visiting for other reasons than tourism or business purposes and allows you travel freely for less than 90 days. It is advised to check specific details on visa requirements before travelling to France to ensure that there are no special circumstances enacted prior to your trip. Visit the Ministère des Affaires Étrangères for these specifications.

Can I extend my visa and what are the costs involved?

Australians wishing to extend their visa beyond 90 days are allowed to do so. You must contact the nearest French embassy or consulate.

Customs Regulations

What are the duty free limits?

France has fairly standard customs regulations. Goods coming in from other countries within the EU will not have an additional tax, as long as duty has already been paid elsewhere within the EU and the goods are for personal use.

Some of the duty free limits include:

  • Tobacco products: 200 cigarettes; or 100 cigarillos; (max. 3 grams each) or 50 cigars; or 250g of smoking tobacco or a proportional mix of these
  • Alcoholic beverages: 1 litre of spirits over 22% volume; or 2 litres of spirits or aperitifs made from wine or similar beverages less than 22% volume; or 4 litres of still wine and 16 litres of beer or a proportional mix of these.
  • Medicine: For personal use

Coming from outside of the EU, travellers can bring up to a maximum value of €430. For a complete list of custom regulations, visit IATA’s TravelCentre website.

What is restricted?

Plants and plant products need to have proper certification – which you can find here – in order to enter the EU. Domestic pets and animals also need to have the proper certification if they are to be let into the EU.

Products of animal origin that are not from within the EU are not permitted anywhere in the EU.


Your standard Australian passport is all you need to enter France, however, it must be valid for the duration of your stay. To be on the safe, travellers should have their passport on them at all times.

Note: Information is current as of March 26, 2018. For up to date information please check the nearest Embassy or Consulate of France.


TID is an Australian online travel insurance company.


Family friendly hotels around the world

Looking for a hotel that the kids will love but give mum and dad some down time? Travel with Bender review the best ...



Why you’re never too young to travel the world

Gap years aren't just for Gen Y. Find out how this middle-aged couple took 12 months off to travel & volunteer at ...



The best ways to battle Bali Belly – Phil Sylvester on 2UE: Home and Holiday – 18/08/2017

Tim Webster and Dee Dee speak to Phil Sylvester from Travel Insurance Direct to get the best cures for Bali Belly. ...