Travel Insurance for Natural DisastersCover available for incidents arising from a natural disaster on your trip
What is travel insurance for natural disasters?
If you’re travelling and there’s a natural disaster (fire, flood, volcano, cyclone, etc.) that disrupts your travel, insurance can cover you for that. It might be for new flights or additional accommodation and meals, even medical expenses overseas if you’re hurt during the incident.
Why do I need travel cover for natural disasters?
The reality of our world is such that the climate is changing and the weather is getting more extreme. More cyclones and hurricanes, more flooding, more heatwaves… The list goes on. Any of those can impact your travel.
If you buy a policy with TID before travelling, your policy's cancellation cover starts immediately for natural disasters. It’s important to remember that the cover only applies to unforeseen events. If your airline sends you an email to say they’ve cancelled your flight due to a cyclone, it’s too late to buy insurance then! For major events, there will often be a cut-off, meaning insurance purchased after that time won’t cover that event. Basically, if you bought your policy after learning about the disaster, or when it is reported on the news, that’s probably too late. If we've published information about a disaster, you'll be able to find out about cover as clear as possible on our website.
Travel insurance cover if a natural disaster occurs
- Cover is available if the airline won't refund/re-book your flights after your origional flights are cancelled. We do not cover a change of mind.
- Cover for accommodation and meals if you’re stuck overseas beyond your original return date
- Free extension of cover on your policy until you can get home, up to six months after the event.
- Cover is also available to get home if a natural disaster destroys your home while you’re away
- 24/7 emergency assistance line: no matter where you are in the world, there’ll be someone on the other end of the phone if you really need it
What's not covered when disaster strikes
- Loss of income. If you have to miss a few days of work, we hope your boss is the forgiving type!
- Entertainment. We know you might be stuck somewhere and bored, but we don’t cover the cost of things to pass the time
- Changing your mind. A disaster must prevent you from taking the trip, we don't cover you when you change your plans or decide you'd rather not go on your trip. Unfortunately simply changing your mind and deciding not to go on your holiday is not covered. The policy doesn't cover you for any consequential loss - including loss of enjoyment.
- Expected costs. If you’re mid-trip, you were going to be spending money on meals and accommodation anyway, regardless of the disruption. This is what’s called an “expected expense”.
What is covered when a natural disaster happens?
Here are some benefits your policy includes if an event occurs while you're on a trip that's covered with TID
Don't like medical bills?
Compensation for unforeseen medical expenses incurred whilst on an overseas holiday
Airline cancelled flight?
If your flight is cancelled by the Airline for operational reasons we cover the reasonable cost of meals and accommodation.
Need a medical escort home?
Cover back to Australia if a medical practitioner requires you to be medically escorted home due to a sudden illness or injury that happens on your trip.
Natural disaster travel insurance FAQs
What if I knew about the disaster before I bought my policy?
Unfortunately, we can only ever cover you for unexpected events. If your travel plans were likely to be disrupted, then there’s no cover available.
What if I get stuck overseas due to a natural disaster?
Good news! First, your policy will automatically extend until you’re reasonably able to get home for up to six months, and it won’t cost you a thing. Second, we offer cover you for accommodation and meals until you’re able to get home. Just bear in mind that while it’s fine to have a glass of wine with your meal, if you send us a meal receipt with nothing but 12 beers and a plate of spring rolls, we may ask some questions! The policy will only cover 'reasonable additional expenses' under travel delay: with reasonable meaning 'the standard level you have booked for the rest of your trip; or as determined by us.
What about Bali?
At the moment, Mt Agung in Bali remains active, and could potentially erupt at any time. That means that we currently won’t offer cover for any claims arising from Mt Agung erupting, even though the volcano has been quiet for a while now, but remains active. We do still cover travel to Bali, and all the usual policy coverage applies, except relating to known events. If a different volcano in the area unexpectedly erupted, you would be covered for that. Likewise, any other natural disaster such as fire or flooding.
Read the policy wording for full terms, conditions and exclusions and to ensure the product suits your needs.
Choose a plan that suits your holiday.
We have four plans to select from with different levels of cover.
Our most popular & comprehensive travel insurance plan - think first class without the price tag.
Great value travel cover at a super competitive price - think economy with extra leg room.
Find out more about natural disaster travel insurance
What to do in the event of a Volcanic eruption
Find out more
Many travellers don't know what the best action to take is, if an eruption occurs while on a trip. We've put together some top tips and advice about volcanic activity.
The detailed stuff about disaster cover
Travel insurance expert Phil Sylvester talks about what cover is available when a disaster occurs. For example, if an event like a volcanic eruption occurs before you buy your policy, you won't be covered for anything related to that event. (🔈 Audio content)Listen now
New Zealand- hot spot for disaster
New Zealand sits on the edge of tectonic plates and is often shaken by earthquakes. As it's such a common destination spot for Aussies, it's a good idea to be clued up on what to do if a natural disaster occurs while you are there.Find out more