Safaris and experiences with animals
Travel Insurance Direct will cover you for injury or illness while you are on a safari or trekking on the back of an elephant or camel.
Animals are unpredictable. When going on safari or being around wild animals, ensure you follow advice of the tour leader or guide and stand close to the ranger holding the gun! The policy won't cover you if you put yourself at a needless risk or don't follow the advice of the experts.
For those who are volunteering or working with animals, we prefer you first let us know:
- the website of who you will be working for and the programme you'll be following
- where you'll be and for how long
- what you will be doing day to day
- your experience and qualifications in such activities
Working with big cats (lions, leopards, cheetahs, tigers), alligators, crocodiles, sharks, deadly snakes, spiders and reptiles, hippopotami, moose, buffalo, rhinos, elephants and other big game pose a greater risk, and our underwriters need to assess what you are doing before agreeing to it. Please email us with the details of your trip and we will get back to you.
- Overseas medical expenses
- Accidental Death benefit
- Total Permanent Disability benefit (The Works,The Basics/AMT policies)
- Personal liability (except in a work or volunteer capacity)
What's not covered?
- you, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally exposing themselves to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life;
- any search and rescue expenses; and
- personal liability is excluded when you are engaging in your normal trade, business or profession and also while volunteering.
Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the PDS.
How can we help?
Talk to us
1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.
Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm
Send us an EmailEmail us
In an Emergency
Call +61 2 8256 1523