Motorbike Riding

The standard TID policy covers you to ride a motorbike or motorcycle but you MUST be licenced to ride a motorcycle of the same class in Australia and hold a valid licence for the country you are in. When we refer to motorcycles, we also mean mopeds, scooters, motorbikes and any other motorised bike.

Do I need a license?

Yes. The TID policy requires you to be licenced to ride a motorcycle in Australia and hold a valid licence for the country you are in.

Am I covered if I hire a motorbike for just one day?

Yes, as long as you meet the license requirements. Whether you hire a moped just for the day, are on an organised motorcycle tour or if you've organised a tour on your own, the same license requirements apply.

Does it cost extra to cover motorcycle riding?

No, TID does not charge additional premium to cover riding a motorcycle. As long as you meet the license requirements it is covered as a standard part of our policy.

I'm on my L plates for motorcycling, can I still ride a motorcycle overseas?

Your Learner's permit needs to be accepted in the country you are travelling in for the engine size of motorcycle you wish to ride.

Do you have a limit on the engine size?

You can ride a motorcycle that is the same capacity you're licenced to ride. If your licence restricts the engine size you can ride then you'll need to stick to that when you are away.

If I hire a motorcycle, am I covered for Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess?

No, Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess covers sedans, hatchbacks, SUV's,4WD, campervans and motorhomes rented from a licenced motor vehicle rental company but does not cover hiring of motorbikes, mopeds and scooters. Make sure you're fully insured for the motorbike or scooter you're hiring. Check it for damage before you ride it and ensure any damage is noted in the documentation so you don't pay for it later.

What if I'm in a country where helmets aren't required and I'm not wearing one?

Even if it is not the law to wear a helmet in the country you are in, our policy requires you to wear one so that you are reducing the risk of serious injury. If you aren't wearing a helmet and you have an accident, you won't be covered. You'll also need a helmet if you are a passenger on a motorcycle, moped or scooter.

How can I find out if my licence is valid in the country I'm travelling to?

You can check with the consulate of the country you are travelling to before you go to confirm licensing requirements.

The Smartraveller website has information about local travel and advice on overseas road safety. Just look up the country you are travelling to for the 'local travel' advice.

What's covered?

What's not covered?

  • Riding without a helmet as a driver or passenger on a motorcycle.
  • Riding without a valid licence for the country you are in.
  • Riding a motorcycle when you don't have a valid licence in Australia for the engine.
  • Racing on a motorcycle.
  • Riding while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • You have an accident because you are not following the road rules.
  • Professional sports, ie, you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training for or participating in motorcycle riding.
  • Intentionally exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life.
  • Personal Liability- damage you cause to someone's property or if you injure someone while riding a motorcycle or as a passenger.
  • Medical expenses in Australia

Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the PDS

Last updated: 28 November 2016

How can we help?

Talk to us

1300 843 843 from Australia or
+61 2 8256 1537 from Overseas.

Monday to Friday
8:00am - 8:00pm



Send us an Email

Email us

In an Emergency

Call +61 2 8256 1523
Worldwide 24/7